Sunday, January 22, 2017

Growth Mindset

Standford Professor Carol Dweck speaks about the Power of Yet and the Tyranny of Now and how we should include challenge in our comfort zones in these two videos we watched.

I enjoyed the concept of the video. I agree with the main topic and the points she does bring up. I believe this type of teaching should be placed in all classrooms; however, this process needs dedicated teachers and professors to accomplish the transfer over to these concepts.
At 3.51 in the video "The Power of Believing That You Can Improve" she brought up that "'we' (Dweck's generation) raised a generation of young workers who can't get through the day without an award." After this, she tells us how to we can create a bridge from now to yet mindset, but she does not make the distinction if this bridge is for children and/or adults. The title of the video indicates that this practices covers everyone, so I will take that as my answer.

She later introduces a 13-year-old boy who emailed her. He wrote her to tell her he applied her practice to his life and saw great improvement in all the applied aspects of his life. Honestly, this teenager is probably one-in-a-million type of individual and his more open to change than a majority of adults.

The individuals who realize they want to improve and work and take those opportunities to improve are fewer than those who want to improve, but won't take the opportunities to improve.  The concept is good, and I believe this can improve the younger generation if this mindset is taught at a young age and throughout their educational careers.

For the second video, she says that we should feel cheated for assignments being too easy and I agree with Dr. Dweck. If my professors/GAs give me a glossed over grade for an assignment I did not work hard on or did not provided enough useful material, I will think my process/research is proficient and I will bring the same process to my future employer. Then I will find out that none of my work is useful or helpful to my employer and my job will be at stake. I would feel like what I learned was wrong or I did not learn enough.

This supports my point in which teachers need to be dedicated to this type of learning and why the education system needs priority.


(Current-Education-System from Value Spread Sheet; from Web Source)

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Lauren! I agree with you on the points that you bring up concerning Dr. Dweck's growth mindset. At the age of 13, I didn't even know how to properly write, address, and send out a letter, so he's definitely one-in-a-million. I also noticed that Dr. Dweck didn't specify when we should input this growth mindset process, but as you pointed out, children are much more open to new thoughts and ideas than adults are. On that point, I don't think the adults are doomed to stay in a fixed mindset, but a different transition should be applied to them.

    ReplyDelete