Sunday, January 22, 2017

Reading Options?

Hello!

Week 2 does not hold interesting topics for me. I grew up as a Baptist in Southern Oklahoma, I know all these Biblical stories and I have no interest whatsoever rereading them. I also now a majority of the classical storylines.  The only one I have not really read is love story of Cupid and Psyche, and I am always a sucker for a good romance.

Ancient Middle East Unit
Specifically Ancient Egypt and some of the Persian and Indian Folktales and Fairytales. I am sure many people have heard of The Mummy movie made in 1999 (they are making a remake of it with Tom Cruise, yuck. We are also not going to talk about the horrible movie Gods of Egypt). I loved the movie as a child and this movie has influenced my love for ancient history. During the movie, Evie would occasionally mentioned historical facts about Egypt and were crucial to saving the world which turned out to be my favorite scenes. This movie also inspired my love for watching archeology documentaries focusing on Ancient Egypt; anytime archeology documentaries were on the TV I would dictate the remote and my family would have to deal with it. Now that I live on my own, I can watch them anytime I have that history urge.





(The Mummy gifs from Rebloggy.com)



Asian and African Units
I have always loved Asian folklore. I was a nerd growing up, my guilty pleasure was watching Inuyasha which had the Warring Era (Feudal Japan) as its setting. Yes, it is an anime and yes, I am not ashamed to say I still love this anime. Another piece of media entertainment that increased my love for Japanese culture was Memoirs of a Geisha directed by Rob Marshall. My mother would not let me read the book until I was older because I was still a little too young to really understand what was happening in the movie and book. Once I read the book, it has become one of my favorites. After reading Memoirs, I learned a little bit of Japanese and more about the culture/society which is much different than United States white culture. Inuyasha taught me about a lot of life lessons and remembering it now, it affected who I am today. Not to mention, it also inspired my love for drawing and storytelling. So I will most likely read Japanese Mythology for this unit.

("Memoirs Of A Geisha 285547" by Nicolas Landau, Web Source)

Native American Unit
I know in Oklahoma a lot of people say, "Oh, yeah my grandmother (or great-grandmother) was Native American, but they can't find any proof." I hate to be that person, but my biological Dad's side of the family is not registered, but look stereotypically Native American.
Enough of that, because I mentioned in a early post that some of my favorite places where in the pacific northwest. Specifically La Push, Washington which is an Native American reservation. They have totem poles throughout the town and resort area, they also hand-made jewelry, blankets, and other things you can buy, and on Wednesdays they have a weekly gathering open to the public. The gathering is more of a potluck where you can hear the elders tell stories and play stick games (those can get rowdy). Since I love the coast and I am more familiar with NWP stories than I am with Cherokee or Chickasaw tales, I will most likely read Northwest Pacific legends.

(Headdress2 provided by Seattle Art Museum, from Web Source)


Overall, I am excited about all of the reading topics for this semester. I am interested in the Celtic unit, but not so much for the European folklore.




No comments:

Post a Comment