Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Reading Notes: Russian Folktales, Part B

Russian Folktales


(The Witch2 from Salon.)

The Witch Girl:
- "Come in, if you don't fear death!" Well this is an interesting way to keep people out of the house, but apparently not this man. 
- He probably plans to find the person who is missing the arm and then condemn them. 
- The folktales refer to the midnight hour as the most unholiest time of day and is conveniently when the ghouls and evil souls come out to play with the normal people.
- Why was she lying on a stove? Don't they have beds?

The Headless Princess:
- I am a little shocked that peasants were allowed so close to the palace without being spotted by guards or anyone.
- "The boy was lost in wonder." So he gossips to everyone, I wonder if this is gong to come back and get him!
- You know this would make doing hair so much easier! I would never miss a strand of hair if I straightened or curl it!
- She died?
- But she asked for the little boy!
- So I guess its common knowledge that witches come back from the dead for three nights? What happens after the third night?
- "trace a circle around you; then read away from your psalter and don't look behind you." So circles are naturally formed in nature and are holy protective shields - very cool!
- A hammer and four nails... What do they represent? Christ being nailed to the cross, does the irony kill her?
- A stake driven into their breast, like a vampire!

The number three has been repeated multiple times within the tales as well as the midnight hour and stakes through the heart.

I think I'll make a story about a woman vampire!


Russian Fairy Tales by W.R.S. Ralston (1887)


1 comment:

  1. Hey Lauren! I think you have interesting reading notes and a different, but cool way of taking your notes. I like how you hit the most interesting points and quotations from the stories that you read. I also like how you have it in title and bullet format. I wonder why the midnight hour is the most unholy hour in this folktale? I know that in the Christian faith it is 3am that is the most unholy hour because it is the Devil's way of mocking the time Christ rose again. Maybe you could play around with this in your storytelling!

    ReplyDelete