Sunday, April 30, 2017

Wikipedia Trails: Wizards to Stonehenge

Magic (paranormal):
This article was initially Wizards, but it turned into Magic since that is the key to every paranormal article in Wikipedia. I picked wizard/magic because despite the lack of magic in some of the readings from Week 14, there was a lot of mentions in Week 13 which is the week I read Russian fairytales. I read through the article and I am surprised, yet not, that there is still a debate on the definition of what magic actually is: there is an intellectualist approach and a functionalist approach. I really was interested in the development of magic in the ancient and medieval world which is where the next link is headed.

Sympathetic magic:
I curious what entailed sympathetic magic and I am honestly surprised on what I found. "Effigies, fetishes or poppets to affect the environment of people, or the people." These can be found in examples like voodoo dolls, who have strands of hair of a person and the belief that whatever happens to the dolls will likely happen to the individual whose hair is on the doll. There are theories from the cave paintings that this could be tied to prehistory. 

Archaeology
The study of human prehistory and history, mainly prehistoric societies. The first excavations include Stonehenge and mainly in Southern England, Pompeii and Herculaneum. I have always been fascinated by archaeology, and learning about history. The film The Mummy is actually responsible for my interest in it and I love to watch documentaries on archaeology. 

Stonehenge
The purpose of Stonehenge is a mystery and origin is still disputed today. Theories and conspiracies are abundant around Stonehenge.  However, burial is a permanent topic concerning Stonehenge. Theories suggest Stonehenge was a pivotal place for the community who built Stonehenge because they lived there over a period of several millennia. Stonehenge has inspired culture and puzzled the scientific world; and I find that amazing. 

(Stonehenge Closeup from WikiMedia Commons.)

No comments:

Post a Comment