Sunday, February 26, 2017

Week 1 Story - Mother Earth

Mother Earth

“Mistress Mary” the townspeople called her.

There were many rumors swarming the young, beautiful lady: How could she afford to live in a mansion all on her own? How could she afford gowns of fine silk despite the style being out of date? How could someone with her beauty be all alone in such a grand mansion? How could she be alone in the bleak, cold country of northern England? Many concluded it was family inheritance or she was a young widow of a wealthy man.

“She must be a mistress of some important politician or fellow,” some whispered behind their liver-spotted hands whenever she walked through town. “Her strange accent must be why they hide her all the way up here. There are carriages always going to and from the mansion at odd hours.”

Mistress Mary, quite contrary,

The townspeople could not figure out how the young lady had come to be in possession of the most lavish mansion on the outskirts of town without some aid: "Her father’s estate perhaps?" or "A dead husband’s fortune?"

 The townspeople were also surprised no one had remarried her, if it was the latter.

Red, wavy hair framed a face with full, rosy cheeks. Full lips hid straight, white teeth that gleamed whenever she smiled, pale skin that glowed in sharp contrast to her deep, red hair. She had a small stature, with small fragile-looking hands clasped in front of her. Her eyes were what entranced the townspeople, nearly black irises with long, red eyelashes fanning her rosy cheeks.

The men would be entrapped in her gaze until she looked away.

The young women of the town envied her beauty - mainly for her ability to stop a man in his tracks with a single look. She was friendly to those who were friendly to her, and invited young ladies and mature women of town to her mansion to have tea in her garden.

Her garden also caused friendly envy from the ladies who attended tea gatherings. Lush and dense gardens such as Mary’s did not grow so far north. Women would ask for her secret; they would beg her to tell them how she kept her garden green and abundant.

“How does your garden grow?”

With cockle-shells and silver bells,” she would tease. “The seed comes from my homeland in the highlands, and time and patience allows my garden to thrive.”

The ladies softly laughed though disappointed with her answer. Despite her friendliness and her tea gatherings, the rumors still continued to weave their way into every house and alleyway. Her ears were accustomed to such rumors, though she did not pay them any mind.

Let them talk. She will provide the tea, feminine companionship and with pretty maids all in a row she will keep them blind to her earthly deceit. 

A mistress to the earth and night rather than to men.

Black eyes trap men while she whispers into their ears to entice their desires. Her voice calls to them in the night. The men come to her, they always come to find her in the garden. They always gladly walk into their deaths. 

She welcomes them in her arms, and then she feeds them to mother earth.

They are slowly consumed - unaware until it is too late to scream. She watches the earth as it swallows men piece by piece.

Mary knows how to play the game of innocence. She knows how to play the companion to the young ladies who are married to men - men who can publicly condemn a woman’s life while some of their cruel wives whisper in their ears.

She has walked this earth for centuries; surviving the violence of humans has become second nature. She has seen her sisters burn at the stake because of cruel and jealous women – their screams haunt her in the silent night.

Her Mother had abandoned her garden many centuries ago. She left ashamed and full of sorrow as hatred slowly poisoned her creation.

As the earth finally finishes its fleshy meal, she smiles.


She will purify the earth, and it will become a garden once more.


(Creepy-witch: Bizarro Central)


Author's Note. The nursery rhyme "Mistress Mary" has religious and historical implications. The short rhyme is only four lines and can be found within the story above in italics. There are many theories about this rhyme, but the one I took influence from was about Mary, Queen of Scots. The garden represents her kingdom, cockle-shells represents her husband's unfaithfulness, the silver bells symbolizes the church, and the pretty maids are Mary's ladies-in-waiting. When I first read the rhyme's last line, I immediately thought of a horror theme. If my writing was too ambiguous: Mary is a witch in a town in Northern England and she has been around for a very long time. She is a very beautiful Scots women with red hair. In medieval times, red hair was a symbol for witches. She befriends the women because she knows that it could be dangerous not to since they hold sway over their husbands. During the witch trials, the theory is that men on the jury had wives who were jealous of or disliked certain individuals and had them prosecuted and/or executed as witches. My Mistress Mary befriends them because she has been around long enough to know creating companionship with these women is beneficial for her. When a man goes missing, there are no thoughts she could have been a part of the disappearance because of her small and weak-looking stature. The earth does eat the men which is the reason her garden is lush and thriving, and why she is still youthful.

Also, can anyone guess who Mother is? 

Bibliography. "Mistress Mary" from The Nursery Rhyme Book by Andrew Lang. Web Source



8 comments:

  1. Lauren, I like the way your tell your story. No doubt you've had some good practice in writing, considering your 137-paged book that you wrote. Also, you provide a lot a good details that allowed me to picture what was going on. Throughout the story I had my suspicions as to what Mistress Mary was using to keep her garden nice and lush, but in the end it wasn't until I read your author's note that I found out that she was a witch. Side note: I like your background with all the books, very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am impressed you were able to turn a four line nursery rhyme into such an impressive short story. I really like the choice of images you have for the post, they give a baseline for the imagery forming in my mind as I read through the story itself. Reading through the story I kept waiting for a "jump scare" of sorts, as with John reading the author's notes filled in some lingering questions I had remaining. Overall a great story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lauren,

    Wow, I really love this story! You have some really awesome insights into this rhyme, and I am super impressed because I don’t know that I could have pulled that much out of it. I love the horror/witchy vibe you decided to go with, it is a really good way to interpret the story. I also like your attention to detail, like the red hair. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Lauren! I really like how you were able to turn a simple four line nursery line into such a wonderful story. You really drew me into the story early on with the details you provided. This whole time, I wasn't suspecting Mary to actually be doing anything wrong. It was shocking to figure out that she was actually using men to make her garden grow as well as it was. I think you did a great job portraying the woman as "normal" with a big secret. Your author's note did a splendid job in filling in some of the blanks and explaining the reason for some of the details you provided.
    I also find your layout to go along great with the theme of your portfolio. It almost sets the mood/tone for the reader as they begin to read your stories. The picture you included in this story is definitely creepy and it puts the exclamation mark on an already great story. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that was creepy and you did a really good job of showing that to us. I kept wondering what was wrong with her or waiting for her to prove everyone wrong until the very end. You really had me hooked into your story from the beginning. It was just so interesting that I did not even realize when I got to the end.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Lauren! First off, I like the layout you chose for your portfolio. It is sort of dark and really sets the mood of your story. Based off of the title, I was able to tell what your portfolio was going to be about. I think you did a very good job on this story! It is very impressive that you took a four line poem and made it into this whole story. I think you did a great job reflecting the true meaning of the poem. When I read it, I did not even think about all of that stuff but it makes sense when I see how you took it. I like how you did the author’s note. It really broke down your thoughts and explains why you did the story the way you did. I also think it is very creative that you asked a question to end it. I have no idea who the mother is!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice idea—simple and elegant, but dark, and ultimately very satisfying. This seems like it should be a script for a short film, with how much attention was paid to the visuals and descriptions (which is a compliment, I hope).

    One thing I notice is how, even if people don’t find the leading lady’s looks attractive in a conventional sense—red hair, pale skin, full face—the way you describe her makes her seem totally irresistible anyway. So, even if she weren’t attractive to me, she would still intrigue me. That seems to be what the story is all about—the intrigue of this lady character. And of course, it pays off in the end when she becomes a sort of arbiter of the cycle of life and death, and flesh turning back into soil and all that.

    If you’re looking to revise, one thing you could consider is how the story is so fairy-tale-like that it has no real stakes. There’s very little conflict besides the mystery. You could have someone almost finding out Mary’s secret, or she could notice a man who’s not as susceptible to her charms, or maybe something bad happens to her if she doesn’t feed men to the earth.

    Ultimately, I love how a story this dark can stem from such a commonly known rhyme. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi again Lauren! I think I read all of your other portfolio stories without realizing it, so it was awesome to read the last one! I really really love adapted nursery rhymes or fairy tales, and your story was no exception. The way you weaved in the original nursery rhyme lines was so cool and really felt natural in the story. I also liked how your story existed as a quick glimpse into Mary's life, just like the rhyme does. You did a great job setting the mood of her otherworldlyness as well as the tone that something was not quite right. I was however a little confused when you mentioned her murdering/burying the husbands in the garden and then in the next line discussed them possibly voting against her in a witch trial. I think slightly rearranging those lines could really help. But other than that, your story was very entertaining, and I loved the historical significance you discussed in your author's note.

    ReplyDelete