Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Reading Notes: Japanese Fairytales, Part B




(Uraschima Taro Returning on the Turtle by Tsukioka Yoshitoshi from Wikimedia).

Schippeitaro:
- I wonder why the cats feared the dog, other than that he was a dog. I am glad the young man was able to find a great feat he accomplished.
- I am also glad that the dog was the main hero and that the young man did not try to take away the dog's life to claim all the glory himself.

The Crab and the Monkey:
- Personification of animals!
- I enjoyed how the other animals banded together to support Crab, it brings a sense of community.
- Karma and justice are very typical for these fairytales.

The Magic Kettle:
- A majority of the story focus on old couples or older individuals as their characters, I love this because western stories usually have young men and women.
- The lessons of humility and honesty are rewarded with good fortune (usually).

How the Wicked Tanuki was Punished:
- Shaping shifting fox and tricks
- And now I am disappointed with this story since the Tanuki killed his wife...
- However, I do like the statement that he was forever changed after "killing" his wife - it shows how one thought/action can corrupt someone.
- Justice for the fox wife!

The Slaying of the Tanuki:

- Being called a weak woman would have angered me rather than soften my heart. Personally, I would have tightened the bonds.
- Phenomenal, he made the man eat his wife. THAT IS A BIT MUCH.
- Setting the bundle of sticks on fire was a great trick, but I agree wit the man that it would only cause the Tanuki to become even angrier and seek retribution.
- Revenge for the wife!

Uraschimataro and the Turtle:
- I fell like I have read this story many times before with Cupid and Psyche, I hope the story endds on a happier note.
- 300 years! Woah, however I like how the world is described as changed. That is wonderfully believable.
- Not on a happy note...

Bibliography: Japanese Fairy Tales (Lang) by Andrew Lang.


No comments:

Post a Comment