Sunday, February 5, 2017

Famous Last Words: Strong Women



(GettyImages/WireImage Photo by Kevin Mazur; Web Source.)

My reading for this week: Overall, my reading was not very interesting. I had time to do both my readings, but I forgot to do a declaration for Part B. The underlying themes the stories used allowed me to create my own stories. I know after reading the Adam and Eve unit I should read topics I am not aware of for the sake of my sanity. I was raised in a Southern Baptist household and I am not a religious person; some of the oppressive themes of the Bible concerning Eve was frustrating for me. Even though I grew up in a Christian home, my mother is a strong woman, but my parents equally share the responsibilities - they both 'wore the pants' in the relationship. 

Your best writing for this week: In my opinion, the writing I did in this class if the best writing because I enjoyed writing the stories more than I liked writing case studies and critical analyses. I have not had any issues in writer's block (knock on wood). I used a writing style similar to the first two stories I wrote.

Other people's writing: During the project feedback assignment, I found two stories I enjoyed reading. I laughed, squealed, shouted with triumph during some of the scenes in one of the stories. Both stories showcased strong female characters which I think is a theme of mine, a crucial aspect for me. One of the writing styles was delicate and vivid in its imagery while the other was action packed and quick paced. They were different styles, but they consisted of strong females which the units lacked. I think it is admirable for someone to rewrite the stories or create new ones involving strong women.

Your other classes: My other courses are frantic and busy. There are no connections I can find within this mythology course. I think in my Digital Design course I could pull artistic themes into my adobe designs. Also, I might be able to pull in some mythology themes later into my Capstone class.

Outside of school: I went to a play called Galileo’s Torch on Friday night. It depicted Galileo’s life and how the church and religion destroyed his life. The lighting and the actors did well with what they were given considering the author of the play was a scientist and could not correctly portray human emotion well. I also was roped into watching a classic Bollywood movie called Kuch Kuch Hota Hai which means something happens in English. It’s a stereotypical Bollywood movie: very overdramatic and bright colors, but it was fun to watch. The only thing I did not like about the movie was the instances where the male love interest humiliated the love interest, but this made her fall more in love with him.  My Indian friend says this is very common in Bollywood movies. Other than that, I enjoyed the movie and will most likely watch another Bollywood movie.

Next week: I have an exam and a meeting on Monday plus Part A of the reading for this class. I plan to finish Part B and the Storytelling on Tuesday as well as another assignment due on Tuesday. Wednesday I plan on working with extra credit for this class. I have a two-day career fair on Friday and Saturday I am attending for Gaylord College. Plus many more meetings.

No comments:

Post a Comment