Monday, February 27, 2017

Reading Notes: Japanese Fairytales (Lang), Part A

Japanese Fairytales (Lang)

(Cat by Mars87 from Pixabay).

The Two Frogs:
     - 'The foolish things forgot that when they stood up their great eyes lay in the backs of their heads and that, although their noses might point to the places to which they wanted to go, their eyes beheld the places from which they had come.' They saw the reflections of their homes in the other frog's eyes. What vivid irony and imagery!

The Stonecutter:
     - Envy is a dangerous emotion
     - I wonder who the mountain spirit is because I could see how some of these wishes would be         cruel, but then again it was stated in the tale that this man is not the brightest of minds.. 
     - I am glad he had a realization he was happier as a stonecutter.
     - There was a moment when I thought the mountain spirit was working its way up to switch places with the stonecutter. When the stonecutter said he wanted to be the mountain, I thought the mountain would be a different stonecutter who went through the same/similar process like our stonecutter. I thought it was a cycle.

The Maiden with the Wooden Helmet:
     - This makes my heart happy.
     - I am very glad that the mother tried everything in her power to keep the girl humble and gracious. Beauty is usually spoiled by ugly attitudes.

The Envious Neighbor:
     - All I can think about is a white trash family showering their little rat-dog with attention and dressing it up in ridiculous outfits.
     - And I think I died. 
     - This makes me sad... BUT KARMA IS GOOD

The Sparrow with the Slit Tongue:
     - sparrow -> woman
     - Little sparrow woman if vicious, I love it. Blood demands Blood
     
The Cat's Elopement:
     - Its so sweet! 
     - I figured the princess would not have been able to take the cats with her and that is why she told her husband the cats' story, so she would be able to keep them with her.

Themes: Old married couple; envy will lead to doom; happy endings (thats a first!); beautiful maidens; humility

Bibliography: Japanese Fairy Tales (Lang) by Andrew Lang.

No comments:

Post a Comment